Garage doors are an important part of many Alabama homes but are often overlooked until they malfunction.
Dixie Electric, Plumbing & Air now also includes Dixie Overhead Door, where you can shop for a new garage door or schedule a garage door repair.
If you’re into DIY, in this week’s blog, we’re offering five of the most common garage door issues along with tips on how to resolve them.
- Misaligned Sensors: Garage doors are equipped with sensors at their base. If the door refuses to close, the sensors may be out of alignment. Ensure that nothing is blocking them and then adjust their position until they’re aligned again. The LED lights on the sensors should stop blinking once properly aligned.
- Worn-out Springs: The most prevalent cause of a garage door failing to open is worn-out springs. If your door only opens halfway or not at all, you may have a broken spring. This is a potentially dangerous task, so it’s recommended to call the professionals at Dixie Overhead Door.
- Obstructed Tracks: If your door is stuck, seems off-kilter, or is noisy, check the tracks. They should be clear of debris and properly aligned. If not, gently clean them and realign if necessary. In case of serious misalignment, professional help may be required. Just call Dixie, and rest assured, the job will be done quickly and efficiently.
- Remote Control Malfunction: If your garage door doesn’t respond to the remote, the issue might be with the batteries, the remote itself, or the door’s motor. Start by replacing the batteries. If that doesn’t work, consider reprogramming the remote or contacting Dixie if you suspect a motor issue.
- Worn Weather Sealant: An overlooked issue is the weather sealant at the bottom of the door. If it’s worn out, you may notice drafts, pests or water seeping in. Luckily, replacing the seal is a relatively straightforward DIY task. Purchase a new sealant strip, remove the old one and secure the new one in place.
Remember, while many of these issues can be resolved by most savvy homeowners, if you’re ever unsure or uncomfortable performing these tasks, it’s always safer to reach out to the trained technicians at Dixie Overhead Door. After all, the convenience of a functioning garage door isn’t worth personal injury or further damage to your door.